Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Is it better to enroll in an Academy instead of getting sent to one?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Realtor670

Is it better to enroll in an Academy instead of getting sent to one? _
PostSubject: Is it better to enroll in an Academy instead of getting sent to one?   Is it better to enroll in an Academy instead of getting sent to one? EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 3:23 am

If I had the option to pay tuition to an Academy and get a certificate of completion...

Does that give me a better edge over applicants that walk-in and fill out an application?

Many people say they wouldn't waste money if they aren't even sure they would get hired.

I'm not a cop but in my personal opinion....
I think if you have already been trained and certified, and have instructors that have good remarks about you, that gives them the impression you're serious about wanting the job and planning on committing to it.

When they screen a typical applicant who is not certified, they have to consider if they want to consider hiring someone who...
A. Has not experienced any LE before
B. They will have to pay their salary while being training
C. They have to pay the academy that they are sending them to (if they don't have their own Academy).

So would getting certified be best or not?
Back to top Go down
Sarge

PostSubject: Re: Is it better to enroll in an Academy instead of getting sent to one?   Is it better to enroll in an Academy instead of getting sent to one? EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 1:18 pm

Having already graduated a police academy would give you an edge.
Back to top Go down
Trey

PostSubject: Re: Is it better to enroll in an Academy instead of getting sent to one?   Is it better to enroll in an Academy instead of getting sent to one? EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 9:18 pm

It can't hurt other than possibly wasting some cash. If you are a good candidate, and want to work for a large department, they will send you to the academy.
Back to top Go down
GrantE

PostSubject: Re: Is it better to enroll in an Academy instead of getting sent to one?   Is it better to enroll in an Academy instead of getting sent to one? EmptyTue Jan 06, 2009 3:50 am

It can also depend what state you're in.

I know in Alabama you can't send yourself to an academy. You have to be hired be a department first and they send you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it better to enroll in an Academy instead of getting sent to one?   Is it better to enroll in an Academy instead of getting sent to one? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it better to enroll in an Academy instead of getting sent to one?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-