Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Could I become a Police Officer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
bissett

Could I become a Police Officer? _
PostSubject: Could I become a Police Officer?   Could I become a Police Officer? EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 1:56 am

I'm 17 and I've wanted to be a cop for a long while but I'm not sure if I can become a cop. I'm in 11th grade and I haven't been as dedicated to school as I should be but I'm really trying to step it up now. My record is clean however, I come from a family that isn't and I think a lot of people think differently of me because of who my brothers and sisters are. Also, most people would think of me as lazy because I don't hang out with my friends anymore, I spend a lot of time messing with my computer or doing something at home. The reason for this is because my friends went different ways and I don't want to get into any trouble... for these reasons I'm not sure how I would do with the background exam. ALSO I'm not in the best physical shape, I'm 5'8 and 165lbs, I'm not obese and I look like I'm in fine shape but I've got a bit of a gut and I'm lacking the muscle mass I had in my days when I was more active and played sports.

Could I become a cop despite this? What are ways you would recommend to prepare myself for becoming a cop? I'm prepared to get as much college time as possible to do well as a Police Officer, even though I'm going to have to work myself through college.

P.S. I live in Western New York currently but might move for schooling or jobs.
Back to top Go down
Badge101

PostSubject: Re: Could I become a Police Officer?   Could I become a Police Officer? EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 3:52 am

You can become a police officer. Like you said, "step it up"! Finish you high school years with the best grades that you can. You can't worry too much about your family's background. There isn't much that you can do about that. There is also nothing wrong with distancing yourself from some of your friends that are not making good decisions. As far as your physical condition goes, that is something that you can control. You can get in good shape. Follow the basic advice at http://www.peaceofficerjobs.com/police-officer-fitness.html
Step it up! You can do it. Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
John

PostSubject: Re: Could I become a Police Officer?   Could I become a Police Officer? EmptyMon Jan 12, 2009 5:47 pm

You could look into joining a police explorer program.
Back to top Go down
bissett

PostSubject: Re: Could I become a Police Officer?   Could I become a Police Officer? EmptyTue Jan 13, 2009 1:01 am

Thanks for the advice badge, I appreciate it.

Also, what's a police explorer program?
Back to top Go down
John

PostSubject: Re: Could I become a Police Officer?   Could I become a Police Officer? EmptyWed Jan 14, 2009 11:55 am

Many police departments offer explorer programs. Below is a description of the Greenburgh Police Department's Explorer program in New York.

The post is geared toward young men and woman, ages 14-20, who have an interest in Law Enforcement. Explorers are exposed to all aspects of law enforcement. They gain a basic knowledge and appreciation for the police function in the community. One goal of the program is for the Explorer to develop a feeling of a social awareness, responsibility and an interest in Law Enforcement practices and ethics. Explorers are trained in various techniques used by law enforcement professionals. Some of these include First Aid and CPR, radio communications, building searches, report writing, crime scene investigation, traffic stops and much more. When Explorers complete the required training, they are eligible for the Department’s Ride-Along Program where they ride along on patrol with Greenburgh Police Officers. As Police Explorers, young adults have the opportunity to assist the Greenburgh Police Department. They may be assigned to details within the community such as traffic control at parades, fairs and other events. In addition to hands-on training, Explorers are exposed to different units within the Police Department by watching demonstrations. These units include SWAT, Technical Rescue, Street Crime, K-9 and Community Policing. Additionally, guest speakers from the FBI, DEA, Secret Service, District Attorney’s Office, and other agencies come to teach the Explorers about the functions of their specific agencies. We also utilize field trips to the New York City Police Academy, Westchester County Forensics Lab, Westchester County Jail , the United States Military Academy (M.P. Unit) and local/county courts to expose Explorers to different aspects of Law Enforcement outside of the Greenburgh Police Department. The chain of command within the Explorer Post is very important, consisting of a series of administrative ranks or positions. Each rank has direct authority over the one immediately below. The chain of command in Post #2003 consists of a Captain who is in overall command of post operations, a Lieutenant that is an assistant to the Captain, and three Sergeants that oversee their squads and have other duties assigned by the Captain. The Post Captain is also the liaison between the Explorer Post and the Police Department advisors. The qualifications to become an Explorer are as follows:

Must be at least 14 and under 21 years of age.
Must be in good health with weight in proportion to height.
Must maintain a “C” average in all school work.
Must have a clean criminal record.
Must be able to provide a positive recommendation from a teacher or community leader.

You can visit the Greenburgh Police Department's website for more info.
Back to top Go down
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Could I become a Police Officer?   Could I become a Police Officer? EmptyThu Jan 15, 2009 12:24 pm

Being a police explorer is awesome Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Rachel

PostSubject: Re: Could I become a Police Officer?   Could I become a Police Officer? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2009 4:02 pm

Police explorers rule! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could I become a Police Officer?   Could I become a Police Officer? Empty

Back to top Go down

Could I become a Police Officer?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-