Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Should I learn basic firearms skills before going to the police academy?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paul33

Should I learn basic firearms skills before going to the police academy? _
PostSubject: Should I learn basic firearms skills before going to the police academy?   Should I learn basic firearms skills before going to the police academy? EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 4:19 am

I am 33 years old, and am considering applying to a police academy in PA. I have never fired a gun, and no nothing about them. Will this be a problem for me during the academy? Should I take a firearms course (maybe through the NRA) before I attend the police academy?
Back to top Go down
Badge101

PostSubject: Re: Should I learn basic firearms skills before going to the police academy?   Should I learn basic firearms skills before going to the police academy? EmptyWed Jan 21, 2009 11:53 am

Not being familiar with firearms, and not having ever fired a gun would not be a problem. It certainly wouldn't hurt to learn some things about firearms before the academy. However, it is not necessary. You will be taught everything you need to know during the academy. I know officers that never fired a gun before the academy. Good luck! Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Jenn

PostSubject: Re: Should I learn basic firearms skills before going to the police academy?   Should I learn basic firearms skills before going to the police academy? EmptyThu Jan 22, 2009 10:26 am

Like Badge101 said, you don't have to know anything about guns before going to the academy, but I would try to learn what you can beforehand. There are many good books that you get to learn the classroom basics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should I learn basic firearms skills before going to the police academy?   Should I learn basic firearms skills before going to the police academy? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should I learn basic firearms skills before going to the police academy?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-