Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jrernest

Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team _
PostSubject: Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team   Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 4:55 pm

I am planning on going into the FBI, hopefully the HRT, but in order to do that I need several years of SWAT or Special Ops experience, and to get that I need to have experience as a law enforcement officer.

So I am looking for advice on how to get the required experience as quickly as possibly, as I want to get into the FBI for a few years and then “retire” and start my own business.

Thank you.
Back to top Go down
S&W

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team   Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 10:56 pm

Brother, I don't think there is a quick route for what your looking for! Good luck though!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team   Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 12:08 am

Becoming an HRT member is extremely competitive. You must first become an FBI Agent. If you qualify for one of the five FBI Special Agent Entry Programs, I would suggest filling out an online application with the FBI to try to become an agent. If you have one or more of what the FBI considers critical skills you will fare better. If you haven't done so already, visit http://www.fbijobs.gov/11.asp . You could probably obtain some extra tactical training through the FBI or on your own on your own time that would show your desire to become an HRT member. If you excel during your physical training, tactics training, firearms training, etc. during the academy, that would benefit you. If you take initiative and obtain training on your own time and excel at it while you are an agent, that would probably demonstrate your desire and abilities and give you an edge.

You could try to become a police officer with a larger police department and try to become a swat officer. Becoming a swat officer with most agencies is quite competitive. And depending on your definition of quickly, there might not be an answer. The hiring process obviously takes some time, the basic police academy is about six months long, and then you will have to complete a field training program, and you will usually have to serve a probationary period, and often times a couple of years in patrol before you can even apply for swat, etc. Some smaller departments often have swat teams. There are some very small police departments that I know of where practically every officer is also trained in swat shortly after they are hired. If you become a law enforcement officer, there will be several swat or tactical training courses that you can attend even if you have to do so on your own time and at your own expense. However, many of them, especially the real good ones, are relatively expensive.

Last edited by Admin on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.peaceofficerjobs.com/
Jim T

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team   Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team EmptySat Aug 23, 2008 3:36 pm

That's right. There is not really a quick way to get that experience. You gotta get hired by a PD then get on the SWAT team. You can only do that so fast.
Back to top Go down
jrernest

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team   Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 10:50 am

Thankyou for your advice.
Couple more questions
1. Can you go to a Police Academy before you join a department? and if so what are the in's and out's of that?
2. What are somethings that I can do to make my self competitive for a SWAT position in a department?
Back to top Go down
Mike

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team   Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 2:04 pm

Know how to shoot - WELL!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team   Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 2:54 pm

In some states, you can attend certified police academies own your own. Usually these academies are run through colleges or universities. They are often offered as stand alone certificate programs or as part of a degree program or both. There are things you can do to make yourself competitive for a SWAT position. You should be in excellent physical condition. As Mike wrote, know how to shoot well. Try to be as knowledgeable about, familiar with, and proficient with as many firearms as you can. The National Rifle Association (NRA) offers some good basic firearms courses. Research and stay informed about SWAT. Try to excel in any physical training, self defense training, etc. that you participate in. Once you are hired by a department, do the best you can to be viewed as an excellent police officer by your peers, your supervisors, and the public.

Thank you for becoming one of the first registered members of Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums. Please continue to ask questions if you have them, and share any knowledge that you may have. Be safe!

Last edited by Admin on Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.peaceofficerjobs.com/
JMT

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team   Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team EmptyTue Sep 02, 2008 10:27 am

HRT???? Lofty goal! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team   Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team Empty

Back to top Go down

Preparing for the FBI Hostage Rescue Team

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-