Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

any helpful advice?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
matt

any helpful advice? _
PostSubject: any helpful advice?   any helpful advice? EmptyWed Jan 28, 2009 1:50 pm

ok,i am gonna write everything in my past i am guilty of and would like some feedback as to if i would be ok to pursue a career as a police officer.

when i was 18 i did marijuana 2 times with a friend,i am 28 now.

in 2002 i filed bankruptcy and just barely made the limit to even be able to file bankruptcy,but none the less i did,since then i have had perfect credit,had bank loans and paid off,and currently am making payments on my jeep,never been late a payment.

i never got my diploma,not that i just dropped out,i went to a private school up until highschool,and then was homeschooled,my mom kept using the same curriculum,but the place wouldnt issue a diploma for using it at home.
i am going back for my pretest ged next week and am going to get this before anything else,will a department accept a ged?

and last but not least, 08-2008 i walked off my job i was at for 3 years,i was held in high regards there from day one,until we started getting really slow,and it seemed as if the foreman turned on me and was trying to get me to walk,and finally he got the best of me. we have talked since then,but am not sure of his position on me now. i have other job references that are fine. my question,i see having a perfect job history is something you need,will this disqualify me?

thank you for reading and any feedback would be awesome!

thanks-matt
Back to top Go down
Badge101

any helpful advice? _
PostSubject: Re: any helpful advice?   any helpful advice? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 3:51 am

Having used marijuana twice ten years ago will not be a problem for you. Also, based on what you wrote, your bankruptcy and credit would likely not cause much concern with many police departments. You do indeed need to get a GED. Once you get your GED, it will be accepted. Recently walking off your job in 2008 won't look good. But, it won't automatically disqualify you. If you are being considered, a background investigator would likely interview your previous supervisor and coworkers if possible. Walking off a job never looks good, but it will not automatically disqualify you. Based on what you wrote, you could still get hired by many departments once you get your GED. You are still relatively young. Apply for with a few departments. If you don't get hired, give it some time, improve your resume, and try again. You should consider attending college after you get your GED. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
matt

any helpful advice? _
PostSubject: Re: any helpful advice?   any helpful advice? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 10:08 am

thanks badge101 !!! and just to fill you in a little further,the last place of employment i was at until 08/2008,my brother has worked there for over 13 years,as of yesterday,they had there second biggest firing/layoff this year,and the dept i was in got cut in half!! 28 people are gone. i would have deff been on the chopping block,i know its no excuse for walking out,but i knew i was getting targeted for something,i just wish they could have been honest and this would have worked out different,its the only thing i worry about when it comes time for my investigation.
i am very excited,i go wednesday for my pre-test ged,which i know i will pass fairly easy....and yes i absolutely am planning on a 2 year technical school degree. what is the difference from just applying for a police officer,and getting a degree before you apply....i honestly thought you had to have a degree first for any police work.

i got another question for you...is being a smaller guy make you less likely to be considered for a police officer? i am 5'9" and 150lbs...keep in mind i am in great shape.
Back to top Go down
Badge101

any helpful advice? _
PostSubject: Re: any helpful advice?   any helpful advice? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 2:36 pm

Some police departments require college and some do not. If you haven't yet, go to http://www.peaceofficerjobs.com and read the section about education. Check with the specific departments that you would like to work for. Your height will not be a concern. Keep us posted, and let us know if you have any other questions.
Back to top Go down
matt

any helpful advice? _
PostSubject: Re: any helpful advice?   any helpful advice? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2009 5:51 pm

thanks alot for the advice! i cant wait to start down this path. i will keep you posted on my progress.
Back to top Go down
CPLJason

any helpful advice? _
PostSubject: Re: any helpful advice?   any helpful advice? EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:28 pm

You should be able to get hired eventually. Don't give up!
Back to top Go down
matt

any helpful advice? _
PostSubject: Re: any helpful advice?   any helpful advice? EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 11:03 am

what do you suggest i do at this point? i dont want to spend alot of my time and money on schooling for police science and then eventually get turned down for my tattoos's possibly,i have a few area around here i would love to work for once i have graduated.
how do you suggest i go about finding out what local police agencies policies are on this subject,who do i contact?
i guess i could always look into removing the ones on my neck also,i would do it in a heart beat if it made or broke the chances of getting hired at an agency.
Back to top Go down
CPLJason

any helpful advice? _
PostSubject: Re: any helpful advice?   any helpful advice? EmptySat Jan 31, 2009 4:49 pm

I would look into having the tattoos on your neck removed. It can't hurt to find out how difficult and how expensive it is, etc. You can just call the police departments that you are thinking about. Tell them you have a question or two about becoming an officer with their department. Ask to speak with a recruiter or anyone else that might be able to answer your questions. I suggest to consider choosing a field other than police science to major in at technical school or college. If for whatever reason you don't become a police officer, you will have more options. Also, many majors are good for police work (especially computer related majors). Good luck!
Back to top Go down
matt

any helpful advice? _
PostSubject: Re: any helpful advice?   any helpful advice? EmptySun Feb 01, 2009 10:26 am

thanks for all the advice....i guess theres a ton i need to figure out with a guidance counselor about this stuff....i have no idea about what stuff i need to do to be accepted,i have been in factory work since 18,but police work is what i always wanted,and now i actually got the opportunity to try.

but first things first i gotta get my ged,whether i am going for police science or anything else.
i will most likely look into laser removal of the tattoo's on my neck,i dont mind the pain to get them removed,its just gonna be how much that it costs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

any helpful advice? _
PostSubject: Re: any helpful advice?   any helpful advice? Empty

Back to top Go down

any helpful advice?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-