Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Will this effect me getting a job as a police officer?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SeanM

Will this effect me getting a job as a police officer? _
PostSubject: Will this effect me getting a job as a police officer?   Will this effect me getting a job as a police officer? EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 12:43 am

When I was 15, I got into some trouble and was charged with aggravated assault, possession of a weapon, and possession of a weapon with unlawful purpose. I took a plea bargain and just got convicted of the possession of a weapon (3rd degree). I was wondering if this would effect me becoming a police officer. I was charged as a juvenile so I was under the impression that no one could see this record. Also would it help if I got my record expunged? Would anyone still be able to see it? Since than I have steered clear and not even gotten a speeding ticket. I am also an active member of my volunteer fire department. Thank you for your help.
Back to top Go down
Coleman

PostSubject: Re: Will this effect me getting a job as a police officer?   Will this effect me getting a job as a police officer? EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 6:56 am

If you have a felony conviction, you have a problem even if you were a juvenile at the time. I don't know if you can get the charge expunged, but if you can, that would be wise.
Back to top Go down
CPLJason

PostSubject: Re: Will this effect me getting a job as a police officer?   Will this effect me getting a job as a police officer? EmptyFri Jan 30, 2009 7:23 pm

It definitely could. A felony will make you ineligible even if you were a juvenile in most cases. Check with your state's attorney general.
Back to top Go down
Realtor670

PostSubject: Re: Will this effect me getting a job as a police officer?   Will this effect me getting a job as a police officer? EmptySun Feb 15, 2009 3:33 am

I hate to tell ya, but it probably will be stuck with you for a lifetime.

If you get it expunged, it may help, but it still will be uncovered in your background check. Expunged means there has been a significant amount of time since the crime happened, nothing similar has happened since, and there is no likelihood of repeated events.

In Ohio the law is no person convicted of a felony, and then it says "may include expunged cases" so I take that as it isn't necesarily a disqualification, but probably is.

If you are 25 years old by the time you apply, and had no offenses since then, and people the investigators talk to have good things to say about you, you may have a chance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will this effect me getting a job as a police officer?   Will this effect me getting a job as a police officer? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will this effect me getting a job as a police officer?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-