Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums

Share | 

Age requirement?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhawk10

Age requirement? _
PostSubject: Age requirement?   Age requirement? EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 10:23 pm

I am asking as a planning function of my life. I am going into the Air Force via the ROTC program and would like to get into law enforcement after that. The problem is I want to be a career "zoomie" as some people call us which means 20 years, which means 43 y/o at that 20 year mark. Now Iknow I could always hop over to the reserves and whatnot, but the pension isn't as good so I want to have as many years active duty as possible. The problem is every department I have looked up, mostly in Illinois, states that you cannot be a fresh police officer (non-transfer) past the age of 35. Any advice?
Back to top Go down
Ted

Age requirement? _
PostSubject: Re: Age requirement?   Age requirement? EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 9:48 pm

I'm not familiar with departments in IL, but there are many, many departments in other states that don't have a maximum age limit for new officers. I know at least three officers that didn't start their law enforcement careers until they were at least 40 Exclamation
Back to top Go down
Badge101

Age requirement? _
PostSubject: Re: Age requirement?   Age requirement? EmptySat Feb 14, 2009 6:46 pm

MANY police departments hire new officers older than 35 even if they have never been a police officer before!
Back to top Go down

Age requirement? _
PostSubject: Re: Age requirement?   Age requirement? EmptyMon Feb 16, 2009 11:11 pm

I'm sure that some do, but none of the departments in my area that I'm familiar with have a maximum age restriction. If you're not picky as to where you reside, you should have no problem.
Back to top Go down
Gman

Age requirement? _
PostSubject: Re: Age requirement?   Age requirement? EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 11:38 am

My agency requires that you be less than 37 to be hired, but I also know of many departments that don't have max age restrictions. I wouldn't worry.
Back to top Go down
JulieR

Age requirement? _
PostSubject: Re: Age requirement?   Age requirement? EmptyThu Mar 12, 2009 7:06 pm

You can become an officer with lots of departments at that age Smile
Back to top Go down
TAZ

Age requirement? _
PostSubject: Re: Age requirement?   Age requirement? EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 5:32 am

Don't sweat it. We just hired a 47 year old!
Back to top Go down
Cap

Age requirement? _
PostSubject: Cut Off   Age requirement? EmptySat Apr 18, 2009 10:36 am

The cut off age in Illinois for a police officer is 35, BUT! Laughing
You can still become a peace office in almost any state in the USA with no cutoff age! You’ll still need to pass a physical agility test along with the written exam to become a peace officer, which is a Deputy Sheriff. That’s the way it’s now done, no telling what will happen in the next 20 years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Age requirement? _
PostSubject: Re: Age requirement?   Age requirement? Empty

Back to top Go down

Age requirement?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Peaceofficerjobs.com - Police Jobs and How to Become a Police Officer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Peaceofficerjobs.com Forums :: Questions About Law Enforcement Officer Jobs-